Monday, October 4, 2010

Karibu

Since we decided to move to Tanzania many people have said that they would visit us. But when it comes to setting a date or talking about more concrete details, then we notice it isn’t meant seriously. In the end Tanzania is for the most people, too far, too expensive, too unknown, too hot, too humid or too risky. But, not everyone thinks the same, our old flatmates from Berlin promised to visit us this September and they kept their word. We had a great time, the first days were spent in the southern beaches of Dar es Salaam where we relaxed from the long trip behind us and powered up for the trip ahead. They made a snorkel tour with a Dhow sailing boat, I was pretty jealous, till now I haven’t had the opportunity to do that. After the paradise beach we drove to Mikumi and stayed at the Wildlife Camp Lodge. Everything was wonderful as usual and our guests seemed really happy and excited. That evening during dinner we were presented with a treat from the African wilderness. Two lionesses laid only a few meters away from us observing their prey, a water buffalo grazing next to the bungalows. I must admit I was terrified because this was uncomfortably close, especially since Clara was also there. We were politely advised to leave the lounge area and go to our rooms. It had been a rare and exciting experience, but I felt much more relaxed within the solid walls of our bungalow. The next morning at 6 am we went for a game drive. We saw just about everything possible in Mikumi except for the hippos that had moved to another area. After lunch we drove to Ifakara and spent a few days at our house. In between they visited the Udzungwa Mountains National Park and we also went camping at the sandbanks of the Kilombero River. And here, yes, there were hippos, and again uncomfortable close. I enjoyed the visit very much and I am pretty sure they did too. So guys!, everyone else out there!, don’t be afraid to come to Africa! You will love it! Karibu tena

No comments:

Post a Comment