It is getting hot!!! The temperature is rising and everyday bottles of water are goggled down, evenings beer...It is over 40 degrees and still rising. Mikumi didn't have its usual huge herds of animals because of the drought. Most of them have been pushed into the Selous Game Reserve. The people also complain about dried up wells. Including the community in Sanje where I am running my project. I am happy to say that everything has been set with an NGO to build a deep well. Hopefully by next week they'll start drilling. I cant wait to see the happy kids jumping in clean water puddles. Must remember to take my camera with me so I can share this later on. The chief of the village is a bit of a prick. He tries to extort money from the project and threatens us with loss of community support. Corruption goes down to the lowest levels....He wanted me to give him the money for the well and he would take care of it on his own. I knew that if we did that the money would disappear and the well would never be drilled. After several problems and a lot of misunderstandings I finally consented to give him the money. But the day we arranged to do the transaction I also invited the drillers and other villagers, so he was forced to immediately pass on the cash. It was such a naughty pleasure to see his frustration. Now the NGO has the cash and the people will have a well. The chief still complains we need to give him money, he is a difficult man. The project is only running another two weeks so I think we will make it.
Next Sunday will be the Tanzanian elections. I wonder who will win. Probably Kikwete, he has order all opposition publicity to be removed. I think this isn't a very democratic election. In the end it doesn't really make a difference which head is in charge. The population has no faith in change and I can see why. Whoever has the chance to leave will take it. Change is something that won't happen in the next few generations so if you love your children you will leave. This is how most young people think and I cant blame them. Unfortunately many who stay are not engaged in changing their country but their private bank account. There are exceptions, and damn they are brave people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment