Thursday, August 13, 2009

Introducing my blog

On August 31st my family and I are boarding on a flight to Dar es Salaam.
We plan to live the next three years in a small town called Ifakara (~40.000 inhabitants) deep in the south of Tanzania.
How did this happen?
It all started mid-May '09, I didn't see much of a future in my projects in Berlin, I wasn't even sure if they were what I wanted. So I decided to search for a job. My background focuses on controlling insects in the tropics, and this is not an area where you can easily find a job in Berlin or Germany... But I tried! I sent a couple of CV's and applications, some never replied and some invited me for interviews. Before long I was disappointed to realize that in Berlin all the jobs which fit me were related with animal experimentation: my worst nightmare.
In the mean while, I found an add from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine advertising a post-doc position in malaria vector control stationed in Tanzania. The job requirements fit me like a glove, in every point I could see myself and I knew that if I really wanted this job I could get it. After speaking with my family I applied. Soon I was in London hearing that we would be moving to Ifakara.
A dream came true.

4 comments:

  1. UAUH UAUH UAUH
    mário told me, but now u've explained everything
    é fANtásTicOOOOOO

    bj chio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olá Marta,

    Notícias bombásticas!

    Fico feliz que estejas a perseguir o teu sonho e adorei esta forma de partilhá-lo connosco.

    Beijinhos á Clara da nossa parte.

    Um seguidor do blogue ;)

    Nuno Oliveira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marta!
    Parbéns pela conquista e boa sorte nessa empreitada! Vou ficar de olho nas notícias.
    Um beijo
    Carla Cotrim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Se por acaso a caminho da Tanzânia passares por nove ilhas perdidas no meio do Atlantico, já sabes, pára numa delas que eu vou ter contigo.
    Estes próximos anos vão ser espetaculares!Aproveita ao máximo!
    beijinhos dos Açores
    Rita Soares

    ReplyDelete