Friday, October 23, 2009

Bringing home the bacon

Now it’s time to work……Zanzibar is over and we are back in Ifakara. I have been bombed with work and can’t really keep up by only working mornings. I hope this will improve but I think the tendency is the opposite. I am helping in a medical statistics workshop, supervising the field work of two PhD students, writing an ethics protocol extension for a clinical trial, identifying Culicine mosquitoes to species level, trying to rear 3000 Anopheles in a month’s time and making travel arrangements for few researchers who I have to host during their visit to Ifakara mid-November. AHH!| My supervisor is off to conferences around the world and leaving me alone again for 3 weeks, I hope the roof doesn’t fall on my head during this time.

In the mean while we visited some houses because we need to move before December and already found the place we want to live. It’s a three bedroom house not far from the institute but outside the compound with a big garden full of great shady trees. We plan to move in November. There is enough space for visitors so don’t leave us waiting!

The weather in Ifakara is very hot and dry; it feels like we’re walking through an oven. We can hardly wait until the rains start and cool things down. Today a few drops fell from the sky but were immediately evaporated once they reached the ground. In November it is expected to rain, although the hot weather will continue until January. It is crazy that I am wishing for rain, I don’t think that has happened very often…

No comments:

Post a Comment